Forgive me as I climb onto a soap box...
I've grown up with a sense of moral obligation to education. Grades are only a reflection on that obligation, as words are to faith. Thanks Mom- I think homeschooling helped form my mind that way.
Most students know how to make the grade: take good notes, tell the prof what he wants to hear, study for the test... that's how most students "learn." But they never activate their minds. They don't think, and their teachers often don't require them to.
I could go on and on about the failings of our educational system, but (I think) students realizing education is not a vehicle to a "good job" but rather an intrinsically valuable entity in itself is the first step to developing our minds. And, as Ben Stuart points out, the formation of our minds matter because "what you think about is what you care about and what you care about is what you chase."
...stepping down from box now.
I've grown up with a sense of moral obligation to education. Grades are only a reflection on that obligation, as words are to faith. Thanks Mom- I think homeschooling helped form my mind that way.
Most students know how to make the grade: take good notes, tell the prof what he wants to hear, study for the test... that's how most students "learn." But they never activate their minds. They don't think, and their teachers often don't require them to.
I could go on and on about the failings of our educational system, but (I think) students realizing education is not a vehicle to a "good job" but rather an intrinsically valuable entity in itself is the first step to developing our minds. And, as Ben Stuart points out, the formation of our minds matter because "what you think about is what you care about and what you care about is what you chase."
...stepping down from box now.
1 comment:
sigh. miss you love you needed this.i lOVE your soapboxes! ;)
Post a Comment