Saturday, March 5, 2011
A Clean Heart
“Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.”
Must the vision cost so much? Isn’t the heart pure enough that has no more than the usual measure of slyness, conscious covetousness or prurience? Wasn’t it sufficient that I honestly desired to love God and do what He wanted?
I have never forgotten the morning when the dean of students, Dr. Charles Brookes, closed his chapel message with the words of an old gospel song. I can still see his humble demeanor, hear his quiet voice:
One thing I of the Lord desire, for all my life hath miry been—
Be it by water or by fire, Oh, make me clean, Oh, make me clean!
So wash me now, without, within, or purge with fire, if that must be,
No matter how, of only sin die out in me, die out in me.
~Excerpt from Elizabeth Elliot’s Passion and Purity
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
sigh... This is my prayer today.
Post a Comment