Friday, May 20, 2011

Packing, unpacking, and a forgotten suitcase

I was in Ukraine, settling into my apartment in Kyiv which, oddly enough, had a closet loaded with summer dresses. Admiring the sundresses, I realized I didn't pack a dress for Jenya's wedding, come to think of it, I didn't pack... at all. No toothbrush?! No food?! I scrambled for a plan to wash my only clothes at night in the lake, but would they dry by morning? And then... I woke up. Thank God.

Yeah, I might just be a tad bit stressed about Ukraine. Shocking I know.

Let's just say leading drama has created some drama in my personal life. I've been crazy trying to get everything together, and so a few vital things were pushed to the back burner. like talking to God and reading His Word, you know, just those little things.

Bad idea.

A while back I blogged about letting go of things I grasp (Phil. 2). Well, letting go is kinda like unpacking a suitcase. Everything I thought I needed for the trip was actually weighing me down.

Well here's part two: God needs to pack the suitcase back up. You can't show up in a foreign country for two months with an empty suitcase! After Paul points out our need to let go of what we grasp just as Jesus did, he says in chapter four of Philippeans, "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me —practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."


He starts with the unpacking element- take anxiety out of the suitcase! But Paul doesn't stop there! We're to unpack to God, and He will pack our suitcase with peace! Still have room in the suitcase? Then fill it with true things, honorable things, just things, things that are pure and lovely, commendable, excellent, praise-worthy things!

I was "letting go" of my fear and anxiety, but without anything to replace them, they just kept jumping back in! Like the Puritans (and Ben Stuart) said, "how do you dislodge a "beautiful" thing from the human heart? Replace it with a more beautiful thing." Amen!

So I cast my cares on the Lord, and He corrects the issues of my heart, and insures the completion of His good, pleasing, and perfect will. Ben Stuart has an excellent podcast on this titled, Living in Peace, check it out!

[What helped me come to this revelation? Spending the morning with this...

]

4 comments:

Dustin DeJong said...

Thanks for reminding me of what I have obviously forgotten...surrounding myself with God, not just my thoughts of him.

Miranda said...

Abi,
I love you so much and I miss you! I miss hearing your heart! I miss sitting on my roommated bed until late into the night talking with you! You are so beautiful and wise. Thanks for the words this morning. I needed to read this. Be reminded of one of the passages in scripture I hold dearest to my heart right now.

I am so friggin excited about your trip! Praying for you that the anxiety won't rob you of this amazing journey God is taking you on :)

overthinker said...

oh babe. man you have a way with words! man i'm gonna miss you! thank you so very much for sharing this with me. and what a swell analogy!!

you are SUCH a faithful comrade.

Abi said...

Dustin, I needed the reminder myself!

I love and miss you too Miranda! Visiting you is my next traveling goal, seriously wanting more of those conversations to happen soon! Thank you for praying; I most certainly need it!

Damaris, you were a part of this revelation, thank you for pointing me to Jesus!