Thursday, November 10, 2011

Victory

I met her three times,

in Paris first,
reduced to torso and sheet-tangled legs,
her bellybutton exposed by sea breeze,
yet people call her Winged Victory.

I saw her again in push-ups and lace,
still wearing wings,
smelling like jasmine, body, and desire
from Victoria’s.

Last time I did not see her.
With clipped wings, she’s a true secret now.
“Oh Natasha, Natasha!  Natasha!” John sang in climax.
And she? another’s victory.

2 comments:

overthinker said...

mmm, very good but intense! well that is, i think i get it, but maybe i don't...maybe i'm mis-interpretating it...

Abi said...

I'm pretty sure you got it.
Here a basic break down:
The poems describes three images that express the objectification of women. The first is a marble model, the Winged Victory of Samothrace; the second is a human model, a Victoria's secret angel; and the third is a Natasha, a sex slave.