"Sir, I'm serious.
I'm stuck."
"Oh! To my floor?"
"No, Sir."
"Then how?"
"Like as a person...
Remember when I was a little girl and I could play Rahmaninov's Second
Piano Concerto and everyone was talking about my potential?"
"Mhm."
"Well, I am 23 now, and everyone is still talking about
my potential, but if you ask me to play the song I know best... I'll still play
Rahmaninov's Second."
- Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
Stuck. I'll admit,
looking at my status in life at this current moment, it's tempting to believe I
am so very stuck in the same place and as the same person I was last year.
I'm not faithful in many things, but I have faithfully kept
a prayer journal this past year, and what a strange year it was! Last year I spent my birthday in Lviv,
Ukraine. This year I spent it in a
minivan, in the rain, searching for homeless people and ending up eating
Mexican casserole with my family and a young man we met at Albertson's named
Joshua.
Who would've thought?
Going through my journal, I'm easily discouraged by the
person I hoped I would become by now. I
set such high and noble goals- live each day with intention, walk humbly, share
the Gospel boldly, live in faith... and some lesser goals- move out, get a job with
IJM, publish poetry, move to Ukraine, become an advocate against human
trafficking, stop watching TV and wasting time on the internet, read a million
books.
Whelp. So much for
all that.
But something much bigger than my failed attempts at epicness
pushed through those journal pages. I'm
sure if I created a word cloud for last year, the largest part of the cloud
would read, "GOD IS FAITHFUL."
Over, and over, and over, and over again, stories of God's faithfulness
fill the spaces between my ambitious attempts at personal holiness. Who cares that I am a failure? GOD IS
FAITHFUL! It's okay that I am not
perfect, that I
waste time
get tired
that my faith wavers
I'm a fool
I'm not the smartest
I'm not the most talented
I don't know
I struggle
over and over and over again
that I hurt
I'm weak
I need people
I need
I'm shy
I sin
I'm not beautiful
I'm selfish
God has conquered all this!
NONE of this binds me or keeps me from Him! And though I am not the person I hoped I
would be, I am molding into the person God has created me to be. And I trust His craftsmanship utterly and
completely, more than I ever have before.
As Comrade wrote to me back in August, "No matter where He takes
you or who you are ministering to, your ultimate purpose is always going to be
displaying HIS love and HIS power to all you come in contact with. Your circumstances, struggles, temptations
may change, but His faithfulness will not.
Your purpose may look different, the methodology may change, but the
ultimate goal will always be the same- glorifying Him by loving Him, by loving
others, and by making Jesus beautiful!"
So I will holdfast to the anchor of my soul, rejoicing that I can walk
in a manner worthy of the call, because the One who calls me is faithful, and
He will surely do it! My weaknesses
prove His strength! My ugliness proves
His beauty! Bring on 23!!!

2 comments:
Your struggle to find your way to God helps remind me that it's ok when I struggle too. In a way, it gives me permission to do the same. Thank God he is faithful. Sounds like you had a blessed birthday. I'm excited to see (and read) where this next year takes you!
{comment attempt #4}
thank you. thank you for being real. for honest writing from the rawness of a flesh n blood heart pursuing Christ. thank you for never giving up the fight, for being a faithful comrade. amen- HE is creating you into who He designed you to be...this season is vital to that process or you wouldn't be in it.
oh comrade. you make Jesus beautiful to me when you're transparent--He IS strong in you! I see His grace marvelously at work & His kindness more clearly. you've NO idea how much of Himself He's building into you!
as long as we're pursuing Christ, we will never be stuck. promise. He will always be using us, preparing us. spiritual success is measured by God far differently than by us. =) if we're loving Him & sharing that love...well, His will is ultimately that our hearts abide in Him yes? if we are, we're usuable! He will not let us waste the lives He bought with blood! (i say that b.c this girl told me all my darkness, wanderings and pathetically bloody heart cannot make my God look bad, and to my mind there's a logical connection there lol)
dang it. that's a letter not a comment...sigh. sorry for spamming up your blog. [^^^]
Post a Comment