Dreams are fascinating things.
Multiple dreams just won't let me go; they invade my sleep
over and over again. Some are just
strange- the smoking dreams in which I'm chain-smoking cartons of cigarettes
and LOVING every. single. inhale. feeling smoke burn and fill my lungs then
thickly slide out the side of my mouth.
I've never smoked a single cigarette in my life, and because of these
dreams, I'm terrified just one puff would make me addicted forever. But I digress.
There are more, the tiny spaces dreams, the waking-up-in-an-ugly-wedding-dress-and-marrying-a-man-I-didn't-love
dreams, the rabbit hole/Jabba the Hut dreams, the
pulling-people-out-of-a-crocodile's-jaws dreams....
While unpleasant, those dreams are rather petty.
There are the nightmares, however.
I've had them rather consistently for as long as I can
remember. For many years, I didn't tell
anyone and tried to push the nightmares into the furthest corners of my
memory. I'd wake up, shudder, and force
myself to forget. But they persisted,
and last year I finally started talking about them with people I love and
trust.
One of the reasons I'm passionate about fighting sex
trafficking is that I've been dream raped and exploited several times in my
sleep. NO, I cannot relate to people who
have been raped and abused. I am NOT
saying I can fully emphasize with people whose vulnerability is exploited. But I've glimpsed their fear and pain, and
that simple exposure alone overwhelms me.
I know the nightmares are not real, but in the heat of them, I don't
know what's real or not.
Sometimes I'm in a brothel with many women I don't know.
Sometimes I'm hanging out with friends and we're jumped in a
parking lot.
Sometimes I'm home alone.
Sometimes I discover a room full of little girls locked up
by a teacher.
Once, I had a 4yr old girl taken from me during a Sunday
School class.
One of these nightmares came upon me in Ukraine last
summer. I dreamed I was in a room with a
bunch of young girls and some men I knew.
Suddenly, I realized all the men but one had a dark intent in bringing
us girls together. I tried not to panic
or let the men know I realized their plan while also trying to get the one
honest man's attention. But he fell
asleep. Then the other men
attacked. One had a knife and lunged to
slit the sleeping man's throat, but I jumped in the way, grabbing for the knife
while trying to wake the sleeping man.
He wouldn't wake up, but I was able to wiggle out of the knife man's
grasp and bolt out the door and through a field. I felt safe but sick with the knowledge of
what was happening to the other girls.
I woke up.
I got out of bed and went to the sink to wash my face and
hopefully my mind. With water dripping
down my face, I asked God something I'd never asked Him before,
"Why? Why the
nightmares, Lord?"
I don't usually heard God respond in a clear voice, but a
thought shot through my mind,
"I don't want you to leave them behind anymore."
I realized a central theme in many of my nightmares. I often got away, but the others didn't.
Was there a purpose in all this? Maybe.
I'll never forget a friend telling me,
"you've seen the need. Now do something about it."
So I started doing what I could. It isn't much, and there's so much more I'd
like to do, but God hasn't released me to do it yet. So I'll do what I can in the
waiting/preparing period.
Why do I write all this?
Well, there's another theme in most of my nightmares. Two nights ago, I dreamed a pimp and his boss
were following me through an abandoned farm they had turned into a breaking
ground for trafficked girls. This time,
I realized I was dreaming, so I cried out to God to wake me up. Please Lord, just wake me up and all this
will end. Save me!
He didn't. I felt
hopeless and utterly abandoned. Now I
assume God wanted me to experience the whole dream for a reason. I know He didn't simply ignore my pleas.
But it's been worse.
In one nightmare, I was chased and cornered in a two story
building by an old, feeble man and a middle-aged, Hulk-sized man. In my dream, I screamed,
"Jesus! Save
me! Oh God, please rescue me!"
As the huge man approached me, unbuckling his belt, he
laughed,
"Oh, God will save you, but only after we're done with
you."
Could that be Satan lying to me and trying to scare me? Sure.
Maybe. But you know what? In a way, he's right. If I get heavily involved in fighting sexual
exploitation, I'm not guaranteed safety.
Hell, I'm not guaranteed safety while typing this on my couch here at
home! Nefarious things happen to
Christians every day and God does not always rescue them.
Tonight, Dad and I were the only ones at home, and that
means war movie night! This time we
watched Act of Valor. A good movie, but
I don't want to go off topic. At the
beginning of the film, a female CIA agent is captured by Jihad members and
she's gruesomely tortured for not talking.
Would I do that?
Would I suffer like that if asked to deny Christ or in attempt to save
exploited people?
Ah, honestly? I don't
think so.
I know God will never leave me or forsake me. I know He holds my right hand, hems me in,
hides me in the shadow of His wing, but that doesn't mean He won't let me
suffer.
Am I truly willing to take that risk? To go out into the darkness even in the face
of suffering and death?
I don't know. I'm
really wrestling. It bothers me so much.
I don't know exactly what these dreams mean, whether they're
attacks from Satan or messages from God, or simply terrors in my psyche. But they've caused me to wrestle with some
hard things. I know God will bring good
from it, and I know He's worth everything, and I know I can't live in fear of
what may never come to pass, but this is all weighing heavy on my soul and I
just needed to get it out somehow.
3 comments:
Wow... When put in that light, I don't know that many would say "yes" to being subject to the torture, rape, depravation, etc. But I doubt any have ever arrived to saying that without first wrestling with the thought of it all...I'm praying for your heart in all this.
Thank you.
you know i pray for you almost every night.
you know i of all people certainly don't have answers...considering how often i fail to believe this in petty & small discomforts now, it feels hypocritical to say this: God is faithful. He's going to be proven faithful in all ways when we finally see Him.
FAiTHFUL means He's going to do what He says. which means eternal life b.c of Christ. if thats true; then we're going to choose Him in the life or death moments. HE will give us grace and strength then. wrestling isn't bad.
[^^^]
Post a Comment