Friday, December 28, 2012

For Christmas this year...



Christmas day comes with great expectations of laughing families gathered around the glittering tree, taking part in age-old family traditions, eating grandma's perfect home-cooked something something something for dinner, warm fuzzy feelings, gay happy meetings, stories around the fireplace of Christmases long long ago...

Well, this year, Christmas day began with me crying like an idiot in front of my whole family (we were stuck in the van so I couldn't escape and blubber in solitude), then the van broke down when we were halfway to St. Pete where we were going to spend Christmas with my Dad's family.  Instead of eating Christmas supper with the grandparents, we had to stop at McDonald's, where we proceeded to converse about the moral ramifications of suicide-- a holly jolly Christmas for sure.

We did end up making it to St. Pete (after driving back home, dispersing into our two remaining vehicles, and starting the journey all over again.)  But while we were stuck in McDonald's, and I had given up all hope of an "authentic" Christmas, David made an insightful observation: "Well, at least we like each other!"  As a family, we certainly don't always get along, but it's true, we like being together, even if that togetherness happens to be in McDonald's, centered around the topic of suicide.  So maybe this Christmas wasn't legendary ( I mean that only event-wise. EVERY Christmas is legendary in celebrating and remembering the coming of Emmanuel!), but being with people you love doesn't require special events to make it meaningful; there's meaning simply in the togetherness.  And I'm so thankful I get to do real life with these 5 crazy people!


No comments: