I have always been disgusted with society's macabre understanding of love. Recently, a friend of mine, who is originally from Hong Kong, discussed her surprise at Americans view of love and relationships. One girl she talked to said that love is "just an experience...How can you spend your life with a single person? That's boring." After my friend explained to a guy who expressed interest in her that she would not be in the U.S. long enough for a relationship, the guy told her, "don't worry about that now, we can be happy together at this moment." So what does our society say love is? My friend dictionary.com will explain:
1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
3. sexual passion or desire.
So that's the modern view of love. Basically, love is an intense feeling or experience that is short lived and eventually becomes "boring."
But that's not it at all! Love is so much more than just an emotion! Real love is immutable.
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away... And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
2 comments:
of course that's the world's view. they are focused on immediate pleasure and no responsibility, thus this warped view of "love". it is a choice in any relationship: family, friend, lover, or God, where every day you choose to stick with them because you know they, their soul, is worth sticking with. and... i LOVE YOU!! don't you forget that!
(This is Anne and I am commenting on your blog because you are so amazing.)
That's interesting. I personally am under the impression that there is more than one kind of love. (I know I'm probably making it more specific than it needs to be but I have a dislike for generalities.) I think that the love I have from person to person changes... I like to think that your emotional attachment is special between each different individual. Is that an overly romantic view of things? I don't know. But you know, on the whole, I feel like I don't even fully understand love anyway.
I think that is one of the reasons why I can't visualize myself getting married: it's because I have no understanding of the emotions involved in the act. Or at least I don't think I do. And I can't see myself doing anything if I don't understand the intent or feelings behind it. Again, that could be because I am overly romantic. It's funny, people don't usually believe I am one. Hm. I think one of the reasons why I come off as so utterly unromantic is because I am constantly disappointed by the experiences I go through. I can't act accordingly to how romance is viewed because I find it lacking.
Do you ever have waves of unregulated affection? I'm subjected to them every so often, and I was trying to explain them to Kevin and he told me he usually doesn't feel things (i.e. AFFECTION) so deeply. Which I guess I understand. It's weird, someone can just breath a certain way and I just suddenly am hit by an almost physically painful realization that man, I really love this person.
Do you ever get them Abby? Or am I crazy?
And wow, I am talking way too much. Sorry, I got kind of carried away! Haha, anyway, you should blog forever. Because I would read it forever. :]
I miss you Abigail.
Post a Comment