Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back?"

Today I went to my old high school. Climbing the dreadful stairs (for dreadful was the emotion they nearly always evoked) I realized it has been a year since I was a student there. So much has happened in this past year, though it feels like so little time has past. I am not the person I was then. I am aware of the pathetic overuse of that statement, but it is still true. I have changed, I just had not noticed until now. It's like having a child and not realizing that it is growing until you leave for a while and then come back to the surprising (yet logically obvious) realization that it has grown. It was encouraging to know I have changed, I was not whom I wished to be then, and yet it was strange. I felt almost as if a reintroduction was needed. Anyway, I was glad to know it, I so dearly want to change, to be more. I still have such a painfully long way to go.
Though most of the change that has occurred in my life has produced a favorable outcome, there is a thorn. I have always been a lonely person, and yet, the changes have taken me away from places of...well, place; where I belonged. Now, I am alone. Not really "alone," I have individuals, my "shield," and of course, God for communion, but I lack "place." Is that why I want to leave? Is that why I am struggling the way I am? Why I'm suddenly willing to forsake Independence?

No comments: