New blog title!
The inspiration for it came through various things God has recently revealed to me, especially through Gabe Lyons’ (seriously, this dude has a hardcore name) book, The Next Christians,
which exposes a new movement of Christians who desire to be a force for restoration as they proclaim the Gospel. Here’s a sample of some of my favorite quotes:
“The Next Christians don’t separate from the world or blend in; rather, they thoughtfully engage.”
“They believe that Christ’s death and Resurrection were not only meant to save people from something. He wanted to save people to something. God longs to restore His image in them, and let them loose, freeing them to pursue His original dreams for the entire world. Here, now, today, tomorrow. They no longer feel bound to wait for heaven or spend all of their time telling people what they should believe. Instead, they are participating with God in His restoration project for the whole world.”
“They are-
Provoked, not offended
Creators, not critics
Called, not employed
Grounded, not distracted
In community, not alone
Countercultural, not ‘relevant’”
Let’s just say I am incredibly inspired/convicted! I want to be a restorer. To create beautiful things. So often I limit myself because I don’t see beyond my own abilities, but I forget “the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us!” (2nd Cor. 4:7) I’ve been really depressed this week because I’m not engaging at school. Granted, I’m an introvert, and Rollins is notoriously anti-Christian, but I know God wants me to represent Him there. And yet, I choose comfort over courage, every time.
Driving home from class Thursday night, I listened to a podcast by Ben Stuart- exactly what I needed! Ben reminded me that “what is begun in the Spirit cannot be worked out in the flesh.” It is only through Christ’s power and grace that I will ever restore anything! Augustine prayed, “Lord, command me, then give me what You command.” God commands me to be faithful, then He graces me with faithfulness. God commands me to love His people, then He pours His love for others into me.
Back up scripture!
“For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.” ~1st Cor. 1:26-29
“…whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies- in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ.” ~1st Peter 4:11

3 comments:
Thanks so much for sharing!! This post and the last were challenging and encouraging. Thank you!
can't wait to read this book! i LOVE that you're blogging again .
Thanks! =)
Post a Comment