Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Poetry Workshop
I went to my poetry workshop class for the first time tonight, and LOVE it!
We had to write a Shakespearian sonnet (14 lines of iambic pentameter). Though I've read all of Shakespeare's sonnets, I had never written one, which proved much harder than I anticipated!
So here's my first exercise...
Conversation
It all begins with some form of address
And words that evoke more, but in response,
Building a steady rhythm to express,
Confess, profess, or stress some nonchalance.
Some understanding, wit, or empathy
Will add greatly, but don’t expect so much.
These things are rare, no matter how healthy.
The common content is weather and such.
Superfluous as it all sounds, the sound
Is the whole point, found in the rhythmic noise
Of “blah de blah” (need I further expound?)
I’m sorry if my point only annoys.
So ends my lecture on conversation,
Which only requires noise/vibration.
[disclaimer, my focus was totally on form, not content, which I admit is miserable]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I forgot to add that Shakespearian sonnets also have an abab cdcd efef gg rhyme scheme.
hahaha Abi, you're amazing! I love you :)
Quite the feat!! I give it the thumbs up :] Glad you had fun!
Post a Comment