Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His ways! For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who became His counselor? Or who has first given to Him that it might be paid back to him again? For from Him, and through Him, and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen." Romans 11:33-36

How incredible is God! Basking in the fullness of a dusky-gold moon last night, I tried to fathom its size and distance. How terrifying it is to look into the eternal sky and try to grasp the billions of stars in our galaxy, and the billions more housed by billions of other galaxies! We'll never see more than the tiniest fraction of them. Yet God has given each one a name.

"Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of His great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing." Isaiah 40:26

Louie Giglio talks about this in his devotional, Wired: "We know God is infinitely awesome... Infinite means having no limits. Never running out. Having no end. Existing forever. Unbound. Timeless. Stuff we can't fully comprehend. God has never been tired. Never slept. Never aged. Never upgraded. He's self-sufficient. Self-contained. God doesn't need anything... God is pure. Radiant. Without blemish or stain. He is untainted goodness. Without fault or blame. Perfection personified."

As I read this yesterday, I was duly overwhelmed by my finiteness, my insufficiency compared to this awesome God whom I cannot even fully comprehend. I am nothing like Him, how can I dare to know Him? But then this thought came to me, I am made in the image of God. Wow. It's like a child who, after years and years of separation, meets his birth parents for the first time. Certain gestures, facial expressions, a laugh, these things are familiar to the son and he realizes that he came from these people. He recognizes himself in them. These people explain his existence.... that's how I think it is when I see God. The what and why and how of myself are answered in Him. I recognize Him.

Not to say that I am anywhere near to being the same as God, I am only made in His IMAGE. But it is HIS image... and that is mind-blowingly beautiful. God made me in His image, nothing could be more intimate, or more wonderful.

1 comment:

overthinker said...

i just love you.
and i think it's part of that being in His image that SO very often your words point me back to Him and refresh me.
=)