Friday, September 30, 2011

I am a Dragon.



     "I started scratching myself and my scales began coming off all over the place. And then I scratched a little deeper and, instead of just scales coming off here and there, my whole skin started peeling off. I stepped out of it. I could see it there lying beside me, looking rather nasty. It was a most lovely feeling. But just as I was going to put my feet into the water I looked down and saw that they were all hard and rough and wrinkled and scaly just as before. That's alright, I'll just peel it off again. The same thing happened. How ever many skins have I got to take off? Again. Nothing. Then the lion said, "you will have to let me." I was afraid of his claws, but I was desperate now. "The very first tear he made was so deep that I thought it had gone right into my heart. And when he began pulling the skin off, it hurt worse than anything I had ever felt. The only thing that made me able to bear it was feeling the stuff peel off. He peeled it off- just as I had thought I'd done myself the other three times, only they hadn't hurt- and there it was lying on the grass."
                                                                               
                                                                                         - The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, C. S. Lewis

2 comments:

Dustin DeJong said...

The more I read from C.S. Lewis, the more I want to.

This makes me think that even though we want to accomplish something, for whatever reason it is, that we cannot rely on ourselves to complete said task. We need others, and although it will hurt, when it's done, we are where (and who) we want/need to be. All the more reminder of my need for others. God seems to be consistently teaching me humility and my need to do 1) the tough things and 2) things I can't do on my own. Oh the joy.

Thanks for sharing.

Russet Gown said...

woah...I've totally had this image in my head the past few days.