Sometimes I have to remind myself God is just. He is merciful (hallelujah!), but He is also just. As much as I think I long for justice, He does all the more because He fully embodies it. I only long for justice; He IS just.
We are saved by grace, but that doesn't mean God's wrath for our injustice was appeased; He has not lain aside justice in order to save us.
The world is mad. Oppressors go unpunished, wickedness is exalted, the helpless are exploited. Where is justice in the world? Look to the cross. Jesus drank to the dregs the full wrath of God, paid for every drop. God did not simply wave a sparkly wand over us and declare us forgiven with an "it's okay" and a pat on the head. Our sin was fully paid for by Christ's incomprehensible suffering on the cross. The man who rapes babies will receive justice, either through the cross or eternal damnation. Yes, the world lacks justice now, but it is coming. I forget and despair, but it is coming. Why the delay? Come quickly, Lord! ...But it's God's mercy that withholds His righteous wrath. He longs for restoration of the relationship we lost in the garden. So long as God waits, more people may find redemption.
The Lord is good. That means more to me than anything. His anger burns against injustice far beyond mine; His love goes far beyond mine.
I will remember and rejoice.
"Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God, for His judgements are true and just." -Rev. 19:1-2
"For I the Lord love justice; I hate robbery and wrong; I will faithfully give them their recompense." -Isaiah 61:8
"The Lord works righteousness and justice for all who are oppressed." -Psalm 103:6
"The Lord saw it, and it displeased him that there was no justice. He saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no one to intercede; then his own arm brought him salvation, and his righteousness upheld him. He put on righteousness as a breastplate, and a helmet of salvation on his head; he put on garments of vengeance for clothing, and wrapped himself in zeal as a cloak...And a Redeemer will come to Zion, to those in Jacob who turn from transgression,” declares the Lord." -Isaiah 59:15-17
We are saved by grace, but that doesn't mean God's wrath for our injustice was appeased; He has not lain aside justice in order to save us.
The world is mad. Oppressors go unpunished, wickedness is exalted, the helpless are exploited. Where is justice in the world? Look to the cross. Jesus drank to the dregs the full wrath of God, paid for every drop. God did not simply wave a sparkly wand over us and declare us forgiven with an "it's okay" and a pat on the head. Our sin was fully paid for by Christ's incomprehensible suffering on the cross. The man who rapes babies will receive justice, either through the cross or eternal damnation. Yes, the world lacks justice now, but it is coming. I forget and despair, but it is coming. Why the delay? Come quickly, Lord! ...But it's God's mercy that withholds His righteous wrath. He longs for restoration of the relationship we lost in the garden. So long as God waits, more people may find redemption.
The Lord is good. That means more to me than anything. His anger burns against injustice far beyond mine; His love goes far beyond mine.
I will remember and rejoice.
"Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God, for His judgements are true and just." -Rev. 19:1-2
"For I the Lord love justice; I hate robbery and wrong; I will faithfully give them their recompense." -Isaiah 61:8
"The Lord works righteousness and justice for all who are oppressed." -Psalm 103:6
"The Lord saw it, and it displeased him that there was no justice. He saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no one to intercede; then his own arm brought him salvation, and his righteousness upheld him. He put on righteousness as a breastplate, and a helmet of salvation on his head; he put on garments of vengeance for clothing, and wrapped himself in zeal as a cloak...And a Redeemer will come to Zion, to those in Jacob who turn from transgression,” declares the Lord." -Isaiah 59:15-17

2 comments:
This reminds me of Psalm 73, you should read it in The Message. Thank God for his justice, but even more so for his grace!
Post a Comment