Monday, January 14, 2013

The Giver's daughter

  
 "I gave her happy memories: a ride on a merry-go-round; a kitten to play with; a picnic.  Sometimes I chose one just because I knew it would make her laugh, and I so treasured the sound of her laughter in this room that had always been so silent.  But she was like you, Jonas.  She wanted to experience everything.  She knew that it was her responsibility.  And so she asked me for more difficult memories."
   "You didn't give her war, did you?  Not just after five weeks?"
   The Giver shook his head and sighed.  "No.  And I didn't give her physical pain.  But I gave her loneliness.  And I gave her loss.  I transferred a memory of a child taken from its parents.  That was the first one.  She was stunned... I backed off, gave her more little delights.  But everything changed, once she knew about pain.  I could see it in her eyes."



When I wonder if I'm slipping, I feel like the Giver's daughter... I've spent my whole life receiving only pleasant memories, but now, the Giver must give me the painful memories... and I don't know if I will hold up and gain wisdom or crumble and request to be Released.

On a totally different note, the Giver clearly didn't know a thing about the female gender.  We are well acquainted with physical pain, thank you very much.  But loneliness and loss?  No wonder the poor child went insane; war would have been far more gentle.